A simile is where two things are directly compared because they share a common feature. The word AS or LIKE is used to compare the two words. Eg. As cold AS a dog's nose
A metaphor also compares two things, but it does so more directly WITHOUT using as or like. Eg. The shop was a little gold-mine.
At the end of the sentence, write in brackets whether the sentence is an example of a metaphor or simile.
Eg. The clouds were fluffy like cotton wool. (SIMILE)
- As slippery as an eel. (SIMILE) ✔
- Arnie was a man-mountain. (Metaphor) ✔
- He was a lion in battle. (Metaphor) ✔
- She is as pretty as a picture. (Simile) ✔
- The striker was a goal machine.(Metaphor) ✔
- The torch lit up the room as if the sun had risen early.(Simile) ✔
- The moon was a misty shadow. (Metaphor) ✔
- My friend has a face like a bag of spanners. (Simile) ✔