Southern Lights - Pt 3, No 1, 2005
1. Find the meanings of these words from the story.
fascinate - To be Interested. ✔
karakia - Prayer ✔
seize - To take something quickly or by force.✔
2. Find out 3 pieces of information about the Southern Lights - you might find some information and images on the internet.
- 1.The southern lights comes alive at night with green and blue colours and crimson lights.
- The southern lights dance across the sky at night.
- The night comes alive with beautiful crimson lights. ✔
3. Answer these comprehension questions to show your understanding of the text.
a) What lets you know in the story that the story is told by the Maori?
Because of the names are maori and also the pictures.✔
b) Where do you think the men were when they saw the large islands of ice in the south? The men were in the south.✔c) Why did the people burn the waka? Because Tama rereti died.✔